Thursday, January 15, 2015

Fruits of the Spirit-The Beginning

For Christmas, my dad got me a devotional that I was really excited about. It's called Magnetic and it's written by Lynn Cowell. If you want to check it out, here is a link. I've already read through the first chapter, and it's really opened my eyes to the way I should be living as a daughter of the King. I felt that I should share this with you, because what Lynn does, is she takes a life experience of her own, or one that most everyone has been through as teaches us how to act like a follower of Christ. She doesn't put anyone down, but uses everyday experiences to teach us to not be of this world.

In this devotional, she takes the fruit of the spirit, and breaks it down into our everyday lives. I cannot even begin to tell you how much the first chapter alone has changed my perspective on how to love. I've been praying the past few days on how I could bring this up, and I feel lead to take a chapter every month, for that fruit, and talk about it. I felt lead to bring this up, because I know that as I was growing up, I never felt like I was honoring God with everything I did. I didn't know what it was to completely surrender to God. I'm starting to understand it now.

I recently went on a youth retreat with youth groups locally, and had such an amazing experience. I saw so many people commit their lives to Christ, and I just was in awe at the Holy Spirit moving through those kids. It was very inspirational.

While on this retreat, I was able to read the first chapter of Magnetic. I began reading the second chapter, but stopped when I remembered something the speaker said that night. "To completely surrender, you have to give yourself completely, then take it one step at a time." I prayed that God would show me why He didn't want me to continue, when it was shone to me. I needed to take some time and reflect on what I was learning.

So, the reason why we are here, me writing this with a delicious cup of hot tea next to me, you reading this, is because I believe that this was meant to be shared. Starting next month, I will be writing a post for each of the fruits that I am reading about. I'm starting with the first fruit next month, so I can continue to pray about what I'm going to write about, and ask the Lord to use me for His work and not some blog post.

I just ask that you pray for me as I work through this time, and I encourage you, come along with me on this journey. It won't be easy, but I just have a feeling that it is SO worth it!

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. Against such things there is no law. (Galatians 5:22-23)

No comments:

Post a Comment